Why I support CEDEPCA Guatemala
I worked for CEDEPCA as a Mission Co-Worker for 5 years. During that time I grew to love the staff and be very proud of the work they do. My reasons for thinking so highly of CEDEPCA are:
1. The staff are all committed Christians. They attend the church of their choice. They don't just talk about God and religion. They practice it in their daily lives.
2. CEDEPCA is truly non-denominational in a country where there are often rigid lines between denominations. They have students who are Pentecostal, Presbyterian, Mennonite, Nazarene, etc. The most amazing thing is that they also have Catholic students in a country where many Evangelicals (protestants) believe that Catholics aren't Christian. It is one of the few places in Guatemala where this cooperation occurs.
3. CEDEPCA is totally honest in a country plagued by corruption. Their handling of finances is transparent, with published reports at the end of the year.
4. With a small staff, who are all hard workers, they accomplish an amazing amount of work.
5. Their programs really do change people. I saw some pictures that a class of women had drawn of themselves when they began a class on “How Amazing to Be a Woman”. The pictures would make you weep as they portrayed such sadness and low self-esteem. At the end of the class, they again drew themselves. It was actually miraculous to see the difference in their self-image. The theology program helps people believe in a a God of life and not a vengeful God who doesn't care about their poverty and suffering.
3101 West Franklin Street
Richmond, VA 23221